Philoptochos, meaning "friend of the poor," is an organization within many Greek Orthodox Churches nationally. Here at St. John's, we are fortunate to have a great group of Women who continually strive to provide the missions of Philoptochos within our parish. In the last 10 years, our Ladies Philoptochos have donated $36,400 to the church; we have given to local charities $58,100; and have provided $5,600 in scholarships to our parish students.
The dedicated labor of the faithful Greek Orthodox women of the Philoptochos Society across the United States promotes the charitable, benevolent and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America by instructional programming, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources. They voluntarily aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through special funds or solicitations on the local level.
Meetings are held monthly from September to May.
Our Officers this year are:
President: Maria Saphos
Vice President: Zaneta Rapos
Secretary: Soula Koumbias
Treasurer: Sylvia Mourtakos
Kitchen Fundraiser Project
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this worthy project. Without your love and help, we could not have made this possible. You can now expect some wonderful and delicious products come out of this kitchen of love. Many Years to you!
Nikolas O. Simeon Philoptochos Scholarship
Graduating High School Seniors who are entering a university or college or trade school
Student Qualification Criteria:
- Academic Record: GPA of 2.5/4.0 verified by a transcript of an accredited school
- SAT score of 950 or ACT score of 20 for students who are in alternative programs.
- A brief essay regarding your future plans, i.e. what you are going to study in college and how that study is going to be applied in your working life.
- Church participation: Active in church attendance and activities. Provide a brief list of activities in which you have participated at St. John’s.
- Family: Must be pledging members in good standing.
Deadline: Application form and all criteria must be received by midnight June 25, 2019 by Philoptochos of St. John the Theologian, 202 N. Walnut St., Webster, TX 77598